- Connect the steering frame lock. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Steering Frame Lock - Separate and Connect".
- Release the pressure in the hydraulic tank. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Hydraulic System Pressure - Release".
Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting, and repair of the product. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers before opening any compartment or disassembling any component containing fluids.
Refer to Special Publication, PERJ1017, "Dealer Service Tool Catalog" for tools and supplies suitable to collect and contain fluids on Cat® products.
Dispose of all fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
Personal injury can result from hydraulic oil pressure and hot oil.
Hydraulic oil pressure can remain in the hydraulic system after the engine has been stopped. Serious injury can be caused if this pressure is not released before any service is done on the hydraulic system.
Make sure all of the attachments have been lowered, oil is cool before removing any components or lines. Remove the oil filler cap only when the engine is stopped, and the filler cap is cool enough to touch with your bare hand.
Note: Put identification marks on all lines and on all hoses for installation purposes. Plug all lines and all hoses. This will help to prevent fluid loss and this will help to keep contaminants from entering the system.
- Apply the parking brake.
Illustration 1 g00278598
- Remove five bolts (1) and panel (2) from the right side of the machine.
Illustration 2 g00278599
Note: The steering metering pump is located directly under the cab.
- Remove two bolts (3). Carefully lower brake control valve (4).
Illustration 3 g00278600
- Disconnect five hose assemblies (5).
Illustration 4 g00278601
- Remove rubber mat (6) and the insulation from the cab floor.
Illustration 5 g00278602
- Remove four bolts (7) at the base of the steering column.
Illustration 6 g00278603
- Remove steering metering pump (8).
Illustration 7 g00278604
- Remove four bolts (10). Remove plate (9) from the steering metering pump.