- Connect the steering frame lock. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Steering Frame Lock - Separate and Connect".
- Release the pressure in the hydraulic tank. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Hydraulic System Pressure - Release".
Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting, and repair of the product. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers before opening any compartment or disassembling any component containing fluids.
Refer to Special Publication, PERJ1017, "Dealer Service Tool Catalog" for tools and supplies suitable to collect and contain fluids on Cat® products.
Dispose of all fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
Personal injury can result from hydraulic oil pressure and hot oil.
Hydraulic oil pressure can remain in the hydraulic system after the engine has been stopped. Serious injury can be caused if this pressure is not released before any service is done on the hydraulic system.
Make sure all of the attachments have been lowered, oil is cool before removing any components or lines. Remove the oil filler cap only when the engine is stopped, and the filler cap is cool enough to touch with your bare hand.
Note: Put identification marks on all lines and on all hoses for installation purposes. Plug all lines and all hoses. This will help to prevent fluid loss and this will help to keep contaminants from entering the system.
- Drain the hydraulic tank into a suitable container for storage or disposal. The capacity of the cooling system is
76 L (20.1 US gal).Show/hide table Illustration 1 g00986448
- Disconnect elbow (1) and hose assemblies (2) from the head end of the steering cylinder.
Illustration 2 g00986450
- Disconnect hose assembly (3) from the rod end of steering cylinder (4).
Illustration 3 g00986451
- Remove bolt (6), the washer, and pin assembly (5) from the rod end of steering cylinder (4).
- Repeat Step 4 for the pin assembly at the head end of the steering cylinder.
Note: When you remove the steering cylinder, use two people to support the steering cylinder. The weight of the steering cylinder is approximately
34 kg (75 lb).
- Remove steering cylinder (4).
Disassembly and Assembly Information
|Tool||Part Number||Part Description||Qty|
(1) Lubricate the threads of bolt (1) with the lubricant that is being sealed. Use Tooling (A) to remove bolt (1). Torque for bolt (1) ...
(2) Lubricate the threads of the head with the lubricant that is being sealed. Torque for the head ...
(3) Lubricate the sealing lips with the lubricant that is being sealed.
- Install pin assembly (5), the washer, and bolt (6) on the rod end of steering cylinder (4).
Illustration 6 g00986450
- Connect hose assembly (3) to the rod end of steering cylinder (4).
Illustration 7 g00986448
- Connect elbow (1) and hose assemblies (2) to the head end of the steering cylinder.
- Fill the hydraulic tank. Refer to Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Hydraulic System Oil - Change" for the correct procedure.
- Separate the steering frame lock. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Steering Frame Lock - Separate and Connect".