- Remove the front housing. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Housing (Front) - Remove".
- Remove the flywheel housing. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Flywheel Housing - Remove and Install".
- Remove the engine oil pan. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Engine Oil Pan - Remove and Install".
Keep all parts clean from contaminants.
Contaminants may cause rapid wear and shortened component life.
- Remove bolt (1) from the cylinder block.
- Remove bolt (3) from the cylinder block.
- Remove oil suction tube (2) from the cylinder block.
Illustration 2 g00985933
Note: Inspect the main bearing caps and the connecting rod caps for the proper identification marks. The identification marks should give the location and the direction of the bearings in the engine.
- Remove main bearing cap bolts (4) from the main bearing caps (5).
- Remove the lower main bearings and the lower thrust washers. Keep the lower main bearings with the respective main bearing caps.
- In order to remove the connecting rod caps, rotate the crankshaft in a clockwise direction until the piston is at the bottom center position.
- Remove nuts or bolts (6) from the connecting rod caps.
Note: Serrated connecting rods have nuts in order to secure the connecting rod caps. Install short pieces of rubber hose over both connecting rod bolts in order to protect the crankshaft from the threaded portion of the connecting rod bolts.
Note: Fractured connecting rods have bolts in order to secure the connecting rod caps. Do Not reuse the bolts. Use new bolts in order to secure the fractured connecting rod caps.
- Remove connecting rod caps (7) from the connecting rods.
- Remove the lower connecting rod bearings from connecting rod caps (7). Keep the connecting rod bearings with the respective connecting rod cap.
- Carefully push the connecting rod into the cylinder liner in order to remove the upper connecting rod bearing. Remove the upper connecting rod bearing.
Note: The connecting rod may need to be rotated in order to prevent contact with the piston cooling jet.
- Repeat Step 6 through Step 10 for the remaining connecting rod bearings.
Illustration 3 g00985931
- Attach lifting straps and a suitable lifting device to crankshaft (8). Lift the crankshaft out of the cylinder block. Do not scratch any of the finished surfaces on the crankshaft.
Illustration 4 g00985927
- Remove upper main bearings (9) and upper thrust washers (10) from the cylinder block.