- Remove the engine oil pan. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Engine Oil Pan - Remove and Install".
Keep all parts clean from contaminants.
Contaminants may cause rapid wear and shortened component life.
Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting and repair of the product. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers before opening any compartment or disassembling any component containing fluids.
Refer to Special Publication, NENG2500, "AVSpare Dealer Service Tool Catalog" for tools and supplies suitable to collect and contain fluids on AVSpare products.
Dispose of all fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
- In order to remove the connecting rod caps, rotate the crankshaft in a clockwise direction until the piston is at the bottom center position.
Illustration 1 g00550548
Note: Etch the cylinder number on each connecting rod and connecting rod cap before you remove the connecting rod cap from the connecting rod. The cylinder number should be etched on the same side of the connecting rod as the tab for the connecting rod bearings.
- Remove bolts (1) from the connecting rod.
Note: Do Not reuse bolts (1). Use new bolts in order to secure the connecting rod cap for reassembly.
- Remove connecting rod cap (2) from the connecting rod.
- Remove the lower connecting rod bearing from the connecting rod cap. Keep the connecting rod bearings together with the respective connecting rod caps for installation purposes.
- Carefully push the connecting rod into the cylinder liner in order to remove the upper connecting rod bearing. Remove the upper connecting rod bearing.
Note: The connecting rod may need to be rotated in order to prevent contact with the piston cooling jet.
- Repeat Step 1 through Step 5 for the remaining connecting rod bearings.