- Remove the cylinder head. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Cylinder Head - Remove".
- Remove the lifters. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Lifter Group - Remove and Install".
- Remove the engine oil pan. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Engine Oil Pan - Remove and Install".
Keep all parts clean from contaminants.
Contaminants may cause rapid wear and shortened component life.
The joint between the connecting rod and the connecting rod cap is produced by fracturing. The connecting rod assembly must be handled with care in order to avoid damage to the mating surfaces. The connecting rod assembly must be replaced if any damage occurs to the mating surfaces. New connecting rod assemblies come with the connecting rod caps bolted on the connecting rod.
Use only a soft jawed vise to hold the connecting rod assembly when removing the connecting rod cap bolts. Use only a soft faced hammer to tap the connecting rod cap when separating the connecting rod cap from the connecting rod.
Failure to use a soft jawed vise and a soft faced hammer may result in damage to the connecting rod assembly.
- Remove bolt (1) from the cylinder block.
- Remove bolt (3) from the main bearing cap.
- Remove oil suction tube (2) from the cylinder block.
Illustration 2 g00778087
Note: Etch the cylinder number on each connecting rod and connecting rod cap before you remove the connecting rod and the piston from the cylinder block. The cylinder number should be etched on the same side of the connecting rod as the tab for the connecting rod bearings. The cylinder numbers will help locate the piston and connecting rod assemblies during assembly.
- Remove bolts (4) that fasten the connecting rod bearing caps to the connecting rods.
Note: Do Not reuse bolts (4). Use new bolts in order to secure the connecting rod cap for reassembly.
- Remove connecting rod bearing cap (5) from the connecting rod.
- Push the piston out of the top of the cylinder block.
Note: Ensure that the following components are kept in the correct order for installation: pistons, connecting rods, connecting rod bearing caps and connecting rod bearings.