- Connect the steering frame lock. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Steering Frame Lock - Separate and Connect".
- Release the system pressure. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "System Pressure - Release".
Note: Cleanliness is an important factor. Before the disassembly procedure, the exterior of the component should be thoroughly cleaned. This will help to prevent dirt from entering the internal mechanism.
Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting, and repair of the product. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers before opening any compartment or disassembling any component containing fluids.
Refer to Special Publication, PERJ1017, "Dealer Service Tool Catalog" for tools and supplies suitable to collect and contain fluids on Cat® products.
Dispose of all fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
Personal injury can result from hydraulic oil pressure and hot oil.
Hydraulic oil pressure can remain in the hydraulic system after the engine has been stopped. Serious injury can be caused if this pressure is not released before any service is done on the hydraulic system.
Make sure all of the work tools have been lowered to the ground, and the oil is cool before removing any components or lines. Remove the oil filler cap only when the engine is stopped, and the filler cap is cool enough to touch with your bare hand.
Note: Put identification marks on all lines, on all hoses, on all wires, and on all tubes for installation purposes. Plug all lines, hoses, and tubes. This helps to prevent fluid loss and this helps to keep contaminants from entering the system.
- Drain hydraulic oil into a suitable container for storage or disposal.
Illustration 1 g00983922
- Remove bolts (1). Remove sheet assemblies (2) and (3).
Illustration 2 g00983923
- Disconnect tube assembly (4) and hose assembly (5).
Illustration 3 g00983924
- Disconnect wires (6) and (8). Disconnect cables (7) and (10). Remove bolts (9). Remove the steering pump and electric motor (11).
Note: Cleanliness is an important factor. Before assembly, all parts should be thoroughly cleaned in cleaning fluid. Allow the parts to air dry. Wiping cloths or rags should not be used to dry parts. Lint may be deposited on the parts which may cause later trouble. Inspect all parts. If any parts are worn or damaged, use new parts for replacement.
- Install the steering pump and electric motor (11). Install bolts (9). Connect cables (7) and (10). Connect wires (6) and (8).
Illustration 5 g00983923
- Connect hose assembly (5) and tube assembly (4).
Illustration 6 g00983922
- Install sheet assemblies (2) and (3). Install bolts (1).
- Fill the implement hydraulic system. Refer to the appropriate Operation and Maintenance Manual for the correct procedure.
- Separate the steering frame lock. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Steering Frame Lock - Separate and Connect".