Conditions Which Generate This Code:
Circuit for the CAN data link
Location of the machine ECM
Location of the implement ECM
The CID 1558 FMI 09 diagnostic code is associated with the communication between the Machine ECM and the Electronic Implement Control 2 that is conducted on the CAN Data Link.
The FMI 09 means that the Machine ECM is not receiving any communication from the Electronic Implement Control 2 on the involved data link circuit.
An additional diagnostic code may be activated in order to indicate the data link that is involved with this diagnostic code. The additional diagnostic code that may be activated could be the following:
CID 0247 FMI 09 - CAN Data Link
Determine the additional diagnostic code that has been activated with the CID 1558 FMI 09 diagnostic code.
When the CID 1558 FMI 09 diagnostic code is cleared, the additional diagnostic code for the data link will also be cleared.
The possible causes of the CID 1558 FMI 09 diagnostic code are listed below:
- An open or a poor connection exists in the data link circuit.
- The Electronic Implement Control 2 has failed. This is unlikely.
- The Machine ECM has failed. This is unlikely.
Note: A loss of electrical power to the Electronic Implement Control 2 can cause the Machine ECM to activate this diagnostic code. Ensure that the Electronic Implement Control 2 is powered up before proceeding with this procedure. Clear all diagnostic codes that are associated with the Electronic Implement Control 2 before proceeding with this procedure.
Note: Ensure that the CID 1558 FMI 09 diagnostic code is active before performing this procedure.
Test Step 1. CHECK THE DATA LINK CIRCUIT FOR AN OPEN
- Turn the key switch and the disconnect switch to the OFF position.
- Refer to the illustration for the CAN network at the beginning of this procedure. Disconnect all components that are on the CAN network from the machine harness including the CAN resistors.
- Inspect the harness connectors and clean all of the contacts of all of the harness connectors. Ensure that the wires are secured in the connector, the contacts are clean and the contacts are in good condition.
- At the disconnected harness connector J2 for the Implement ECM 2, connect a jumper wire between contact J2-67 (wire F711-GN) and contact J2-68 (wire F712-GY).
- At the disconnected harness connector J2 for the Machine Control ECM, measure the resistance between contact J2-67 (wire F711-GN) and contact J2-68 (wire F712-GY).
The resistance measurement is 5 ohms or less.
- OK - The resistance measurement is 5 ohms or less than 5 ohms. The CAN data Link circuit between the Implement ECM 2 and the Machine Control ECM is not open. Proceed to Test Step 2.
- NOT OK - The resistance measurement is greater than 5 ohms.
Repair: There is an open or a bad connection in the CAN data link circuit in the machine harness. Refer to the complete machine Electrical System Schematic. Locate and examine all of the machine harness connections that are involved in the data link circuit. Check each wire section from connector to connector for an open or a bad connection. Ensure that all connections are clean, secure and in good condition. Repair the machine harness or replace the machine harness.
Test Step 2. CHECK THE STATUS OF THE DIAGNOSTIC CODE
- Perform a 45 N (10 lb) pull test on each of the wires that are associated with the data link circuit.
- Reconnect all harness connectors. Make sure that the connectors are fully seated and the clips for each connector are completely fastened.
- Turn the disconnect switch and the key start switch to the ON position.
- Operate the machine.
- Check the status of the CID 1558 FMI 09 diagnostic code.
The CID 1558 FMI 09 diagnostic code is not active.
- OK - The CID 1558 FMI 09 diagnostic code is not active. The diagnostic code does not exist at this time. The initial diagnostic code was probably caused by a poor connection or a short at one of the connectors that was disconnected and reconnected. Resume normal operation.STOP
- NOT OK - The CID 1558 FMI 09 diagnostic code is active. The diagnostic code has not been corrected.
Repair: Check the circuit again. Use the AVSpare Electronic Technician (ET) service tool, if available, in order to perform a "Wiggle Test" on the machine wiring harness. The wiggle test can detect momentary or intermittent shorts or opens in the machine wiring harness.It is unlikely that the ECM has failed. Verify that all possible causes of the diagnostic code have been investigated. Exit this procedure and perform this procedure again.If the diagnostic code remains active or if the diagnostic code is repeatedly activated and no cause can be found, flash the ECM with the latest version of software. Ensure that you have the latest version of software for your specific machine and ECM. Refer to the Troubleshooting, "Electronic Control Module (ECM) - Flash Program" section of this manual for the correct procedure.If the problem is still present after flashing the latest software to your ECM, contact the dealership's Technical Communicator in order to consult with the AVSpare Dealer Solutions Network.