Personal injury or death can result from sudden machine movement.
Sudden movement of the machine can cause injury to persons on or near the machine.
Prevent possible injury by performing the procedure that follows before working on the machine.
The following procedure contains the necessary instructions for calibrating the steering.
The following equipment is required in order to perform this calibration with the AVSpare Electronic Technician (Cat ET) service tool:
- Laptop computer with serial or USB port
- Communications adapter
- ET 2011A or a later version
- A flash file (.fls) must be loaded into the A4 electronic control module (ECM) on the machine.
If the Information System Builder is required, then the following additional files will also be required:
- An ELF file (.elf) must be used to communicate with a given flash file.
- The Information System Builder also requires a "setup" file to be created or loaded into the Information System Builder. The file ensures that instructions can be uploaded into the ECM.
- Move the machine to a smooth horizontal location.
- Place the steering control lever in the NEUTRAL position.
- Engage the parking brake.
- Lower the attachments to the ground.
- Stop the engine.
- Turn the key to the ON position, but do not start the engine.
- Verify that the implement lockout switch is in the UNLOCKED position.
- Move the control levers through the full range of travel several times.
Note: Moving the control levers will relieve any pressure that may be present in the implement hydraulic system.
- Make sure that the pressure in the entire hydraulic system has been released.
This procedure should be carried out when the following work has occurred:
- The position sensor for steering control has been replaced.
- The electronic control module (ECM) has been replaced.
Perform the following steps in order to access the calibration procedures in the Cat ET service tool:
- Establish the connections of the Cat ET service tool to the ECM.
- Navigate to the calibration screen by clicking "Service" on the tool bar.
- Click on "Calibrations"
- Click on the calibration that is needed.
Once the specific calibration is selected, the Cat ET service tool will guide you through the calibration procedure.
- Follow the specific instructions on the display in order to successfully complete the calibration procedure.
Note: The Cat ET service tool will list initial machine conditions that must be satisfied before the ECM will allow the calibration procedure to continue.
Note: If any of the calibrations are aborted by the operator or the ECM, the "CALIBRATION REQUIRED" diagnostic will be active and the ECM will revert to the previously successful calibrated values. A key cycle is required in order to clear the diagnostic.
The Cat ET screens of calibrating the steering are shown below.
Note: The following information is an example of the calibration procedure. The actual calibration screens may vary as new versions of the software are released.
First Cat ET screen for steering calibration
Second Cat ET screen for steering calibration
Third Cat ET screen for steering calibration
Fourth Cat ET screen for steering calibration
Fifth Cat ET screen for steering calibration