Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting, and repair of the product. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers before opening any compartment or disassembling any component containing fluids.
Refer to Special Publication, NENG2500, "Dealer Service Tool Catalog" for tools and supplies suitable to collect and contain fluids on Cat products.
Dispose of all fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
Wipe the covers and the surfaces around openings before checking or adding oil.
Note: Perform the following procedure to the final drive on each side of the machine.
Lube Fill - This symbol indicates the location for filling the final drive.
Lube Level - This symbol indicates the location for checking the oil level of the final drive.
Lube Drain - This symbol indicates the location for draining the final drive.
Note: All three plugs for the final drive are magnetic.
- Move the machine so that drain plug (3) is located on the bottom of the final drive.
- Remove filler plug (1). Remove drain plug (3) in the outer compartment. Drain the oil into a suitable container.
Illustration 2 g01251941
- Remove drain plug (4) from the inner compartment. Allow the oil to drain into a suitable container.
- Clean the drain plugs and install the drain plugs.
- Slowly fill the final drive with oil. The oil level is at the bottom of opening (2). Refer to Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Refill Capacities" for the refill capacity of each final drive.
- Clean the filler plug and the oil level plug. Install the plugs.
- Repeat this procedure for the opposite side of the machine.