Personal injury or death can result from machine articulation or movement.
Machine frames can move and a person can be crushed.
Connect the steering frame lock link between the front and rear frames before working on machine. Secure clevis pin with locking pin.
Before operating the machine, fasten the steering frame lock link into the stored position and secure the clevis pin with locking pin.
Failure to lock into the stored position before operating can result in loss of steering.
Hot oil and hot components can cause personal injury. Do not allow hot oil or hot components to contact the skin.
Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting, and repair of the product. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers before opening any compartment or disassembling any component containing fluids.
Refer to Special Publication, NENG2500, "Dealer Service Tool Catalog" for tools and supplies suitable to collect and contain fluids on Cat products.
Dispose of all fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
Park the machine on a level surface. Engage the parking brake. Stop the engine.
The transmission oil filter is located under the transmission access cover.
- Use a strap-type wrench in order to remove the filter elements. Dispose of the used filter elements properly.
- Clean the filter mounting base. Be sure all of the old seal is removed.
- Lubricate the sealing surface of the new filter elements with clean hydraulic oil.
- Install a new filter hand tight until the seal of the filter contacts the base. Note the position of the index marks on the filter in relation to a fixed point on the filter base.
Note: There are rotation index marks on the secondary fuel filter that are spaced 90 degrees or 1/4 of a turn away from each other. When you tighten the primary fuel filter, use the rotation index marks as a guide.
- Tighten the filter according to the instructions that are printed on the filter. Use the index marks as a guide. For non-AVSpare filters, use the instructions that are provided with the filter.
Note: Use a AVSpare strap wrench, or another suitable tool, in order to turn the filter to the amount that is required for final installation. Make sure that the installation tool does not damage the filter.
- Start and run the engine at low idle. Inspect for leaks.
- Operate the transmission control to circulate oil in the transmission.
- While the engine is running and at operating temperature, maintain the oil level between two marks (4) in sight gauge (2) .
Note: The oil level varies significantly when the engine is stopped. The oil level should be above mark (3) before the engine is started.
- Remove oil filler cap (1) and add oil, if necessary.
ReferenceFor information on lubricants and refill capacities, refer to the Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Lubricant Viscosities and Refill Capacities".
- Clean and install the oil filler cap.
- Stop the engine.