Personal injury or death can result from machine articulation or movement.
Machine frames can move and a person can be crushed.
Connect the steering frame lock link between the front and rear frames before working on machine. Secure clevis pin with locking pin.
Before operating the machine, fasten the steering frame lock link into the stored position and secure the clevis pin with locking pin.
Failure to lock into the stored position before operating can result in loss of steering.
Hot oil and hot components can cause personal injury. Do not allow hot oil or hot components to contact the skin.
Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting, and repair of the product. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers before opening any compartment or disassembling any component containing fluids.
Refer to Special Publication, NENG2500, "Dealer Service Tool Catalog" for tools and supplies suitable to collect and contain fluids on Cat products.
Dispose of all fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
Clean the screen whenever there is a failure of the torque converter.
- Park the machine on a level surface. Engage the parking brake. Stop the engine.
- Remove torque converter drain plug (5). Open the drain valve by installing a 1 inch NPT pipe nipple, 100 mm (4 inch). Drain the oil into a suitable container.
Note: Hand tighten the NPT pipe nipple. Do not use tools.
- Remove the pipe nipple and install the drain plug. Tighten the drain plug to 68 ± 7 N·m (50 ± 5 lb ft).
- Remove bolts (2) from cover assembly (1). Remove the cover assembly.
- Remove screen (3) .
- Wash the screen in clean, nonflammable solvent. Do not crush the screen.
- Inspect cover gasket (4) for damage. If damaged, use a new gasket.
- Install the screen. Install the cover.
- Start the engine and run the engine at low idle. Inspect for leaks.
- While the engine is running and at operating temperature, maintain the oil level between two marks (9) in sight gauge (7) .
Note: The oil level varies significantly when the engine is stopped. The oil level should be above mark (8) before the engine is started.
- Remove filler cap (6) and add oil if necessary.
- Stop the engine.