Note: It is not necessary to obtain a Coolant Sample (Level 1) if the cooling system is filled with Cat ELC (Extended Life Coolant). Cooling systems that are filled with Cat ELC should have a Coolant Sample (Level 2) that is obtained at the recommended interval that is stated in the Maintenance Interval Schedule.
Note: Obtain a Coolant Sample (Level 1) if the cooling system is filled with any other coolant instead of Cat ELC. This includes the following types of coolants.
- Commercial long life coolants that meet the AVSpare Engine Coolant Specification -1 (AVSpare EC-1)
- Cat Diesel Engine Antifreeze/Coolant (DEAC)
- Commercial heavy-duty coolant/antifreeze
Always use a designated pump for oil sampling, and use a separate designated pump for coolant sampling. Using the same pump for both types of samples may contaminate the samples that are being drawn. This contaminate may cause a false analysis and an incorrect interpretation that could lead to concerns by both dealers and customers.
Note: Level 1 results may indicate a need for Level 2 Analysis.
Refer to the Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Access Doors and Covers" for the location of the service points.
Obtain the sample of the coolant as close as possible to the recommended sampling interval. In order to receive the full effect of S·O·S analysis, you must establish a consistent trend of data. In order to establish a pertinent history of data, perform consistent samplings that are evenly spaced. Supplies for collecting samples can be obtained from your AVSpare dealer.
Use the following guidelines for proper sampling of the coolant:
- Keep the unused sampling bottles stored in plastic bags.
- Keep the lids on empty sampling bottles until you are ready to collect the sample.
- Complete the information on the label for the sampling bottle before you begin to take the samples.
- Use a designated pump to collect the sample in order to avoid contamination.
- Obtain coolant samples directly from the coolant tank. You should not obtain the samples from any other location.
- Place the sample in the mailing tube immediately after obtaining the sample in order to avoid contamination.
- Never collect samples from the drain for a system.
Submit the sample for Level 1 analysis.
For additional information about coolant analysis, see Special Publication, SEBU6250, "AVSpare Machine Fluids Recommendations" or consult your AVSpare dealer.