Keep engine speed low until the engine oil pressure registers on the gauge or the engine oil indicator light goes out.
If it does not register or the light go out within ten seconds, stop the engine and investigate the cause before starting again. Failure to do so, can cause engine damage.
- Allow a cold engine to warm up at low idle for at least five minutes. Engage the implement controls and disengage the attachment controls in order to help warm-up of the hydraulic components.
Cycle all of the controls in order to allow the warm oil to circulate through all of the cylinders and all of the lines.
- All fault lights should turn off. The fault alarm should turn off. If the fault lights do not turn off, stop the engine. Make any necessary repairs before you startthe engine.
Illustration 2 g00456556
- Frequently look at the action light and the gauge display during operation.
- Look at the hydraulic oil tank and the transmission oil levels. Maintain the oil levels to the "FULL" marks.
The Cold Cylinder Cutout provides a means for a reduction in white smoke by the "ECM" on cold start-up. The Cold Cylinder Cutout minimizes the duration of cold mode. The Cold Cylinder Cutout also reduces the use of ether injection.
The "ECM" automatically turns off one electronic unit injector at a time during cold start-up and during periods of extended time at low idle. The "ECM" determines if the cylinder is firing by checking the rack. If the cylinder is firing, the "ECM" turns the electronic unit injector ON. The electronic unit injector is turned OFF if the cylinder is not firing. Keeping the electronic unit injector OFF reduces white smoke (unburned fuel).
Note: When the cylinder cutout is active, the sound of an engine misfire will occur. The sound of engine misfire is normal. The sound does not indicate the need for engine repair.
The following conditions are necessary for the activation of cold cylinder cutout:
- The engine speed is below 1350 rpm.
- The machine is in NEUTRAL.
- The parking brake is ON.
- The jacket water coolant temperature is below
Note: The Cold Cylinder Cutout is activated ten seconds after the engine starts and the engine reaches idle speed if the above conditions are met. The Cold Cylinder Cutout Strategy will also activate after ten minutes of idling if the same conditions are met.
The following conditions will deactivate the Cold Cylinder Cutout:
- The engine speed is above 1350 rpm.
- The jacket water coolant temperature is above
- The machine is in gear.
- The parking brake is OFF.
- The test for the cylinder cutout for the Electronic Control Analyzer Programmer (ECAP) is activated. The test for the cylinder cutout for the Electronic Technician (ET) is activated.
- The manual ether switch is engaged.
- The automatic ether system is engaged.
Note: The Cold Cylinder Cutout deactivates for 10 minutes if the engine speed is at low idle for ten seconds and the engine speed falls more than 50 rpm below low idle.
Note: The Cold Cylinder Cutout is activated ten seconds after the engine starts and the engine reaches idle speed if the above conditions are met. The Cold Cylinder Cutout will also activate after ten minutes of idling if the same conditions are met.
For temperatures less than
All changes in speed that result from this temperature versus speed function are limited to 33 rpm per second. Elevated idle is enabled only when the transmission is in NEUTRAL and the parking brake is ON.
When the conditions are met the activation of elevated idle is delayed on start-up or the engine cooldown until 10 minutes have elapsed. The operator may reset the 10 minute delay by depressing the throttle switch after the activation of the elevated idle speed.