Draining Fuel Filter Housing: Every 50 service hours, or even daily in cold temperatures (32° F. or below), drain the filter housing of sediment and water which settles to the bottom of the compartment. Close the diesel fuel tank valve, remove the filter housing drain plug (2) and open the vent valve (1). Replace the drain plug, and prime the system. See the topic, PRIMING THE FUEL SYSTEM.
DRAINING FUEL FILTER HOUSING
1-Vent valve. 2-Drain plug.
Fuel Filter Elements: The fuel filter elements are of the resin impregnated cellulose material type. When the pleated elements have collected enough contamination to interfere with engine performance, they must be replaced with new elements. These elements will continue to collect particles until fuel will no longer flow through them at a rate to maintain maximum engine performance. They will not discharge their burden into the clean fuel; this is prevented by the fine grade filter media around the perforated metal core.
Because these filter elements collect and hold contaminants they cannot be washed or otherwise restored.
Removing Used Filter Elements: To remove the used filter elements, proceed as follows:
- 1. Open the filter housing drain valve (2) in the base of the housing.
- 2. Open the drain vent valve in the filter housing cover.
- 3. Thoroughly clean the top of the cover and around the edges of the gasket joint between the filter housing and cover to prevent dirt dropping into the filter housing when it is removed.
- 4. Remove the filter housing cover.
- 5. Lift the filter elements (1) out of the housing.
- 6. The rods and rod springs may be lifted out of the housing to permit the inside of the housing to be thoroughly cleaned if desired.
Installing Filter Elements In Housing: To install the elements in the housing proceed as follows:
- 1. Replace the springs and then the rods (2) in the housing, if they have been removed. Make certain the rod ends enter the drilled holes in the bottom of the housing and that the springs are pressed over the piloting bosses of the housing and rods.
- 2. Place the filter elements (3) over the rods.
- 3. Place a new gasket on the filter housing.
- 4. Install the housing onto the cover (1), making certain that the rods enter the holes for the rods in the cover.
INSTALLING FUEL FILTER ELEMENTS
1-Cover. 2-Rods. 3-Filter elements.
Keep New Filter Elements On Hand: An extra set of filter elements should be kept on hand for replacement. Always keep the elements wrapped in their original cartons to insure against dust and dirt accumulation which will shorten the life of the elements if it gets on the outside or may cause damage to the fuel injection equipment if it gets on the inside.