Always replace the secondary element. Do not attempt to reuse it by cleaning. Engine damage could result.
Note: Replace the secondary filter element when you service the primary element for the third time. If a clean primary element has been installed and the filter element indicator still enters the red zone, replace the secondary filter element. Also if the exhaust smoke remains black and a clean primary filter element has been installed, replace the secondary filter element.
- Open the access cover (if equipped).
- Remove the housing cover and the primary element.
- Remove the secondary element.
- Cover the air inlet opening. Clean the inside of the air cleaner housing.
- Inspect the gasket between the air inlet and the housing. If the gasket is damaged, replace the gasket.
- Uncover the air inlet opening. Install a new secondary element.
- Install the primary element and the air cleaner housing cover.
- Close the access cover (if equipped).