Service the engine air filters with the engine stopped. Engine damage could result.
Always leave the secondary filter element in place while you clean the primary element, or while you clean the air cleaner housing.
- Open the access door (if equipped).
- Remove the air cleaner cover.
- Remove the primary filter element from the air cleaner housing.
- Mark the primary filter element in order to show that the primary filter element has been serviced. The secondary filter element should be replaced when the primary filter element is serviced for the third time.
Reference: Refer to Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Engine Air Filter Secondary Element - Replace".
- If the primary filter element has been cleaned six times, replace the primary filter element. Also replace the primary element if the primary element has been used for one year. Proceed to Step 9.
- Clean the inside of the air cleaner housing.
- If the primary filter element has not been cleaned six times, inspect the primary element. Inspect the filter element for holes and for tears by looking through the filter element. Look toward a bright light. Inspect the element for damaged gaskets or for dented metal parts. Replace damaged filters. Always crush damaged filter elements. Properly discard the filter elements. If you replace the primary filter element, proceed to Step 9.
- If the primary filter element is not damaged and the element has not been previously cleaned six times, clean the element. The filter element can be cleaned by using pressure air. Use a maximum air pressure of 205 kPa (30 psi). Direct the air from the clean side to the dirty side.
Do not clean the filter elements by bumping or tapping the filter elements. Do not use filter elements with damaged pleats, gaskets, or seals. Do not wash the filter elements.
- Install a clean primary filter element. Write the date of service on the element.
- Clean the cover and install the cover.
- Close the access door (if equipped).
- Reset the filter element indicator.
Start the engine. If the yellow piston in the filter element indicator moves into the red zone, install a new primary filter element. Also if the exhaust smoke is black, install a new primary filter element.