- Open the access door (if equipped).
- Remove the air cleaner cover.
- Remove the primary filter element from the air cleaner housing.
- Clean the inside of the air cleaner housing.
- Inspect the primary element. If the pleats, the gaskets, or the seals are damaged, discard the element. Replace a damaged primary element with a clean primary element.
- If the primary element is not damaged, clean the primary element.
The filter elements can be cleaned by using the following methods:
- Pressure air
- Pressure water
- Detergent washing
When you use pressure air, the maximum air pressure is 205 kPa (30 psi). When you use pressure water, the maximum water pressure is 280 kPa (40 psi).
- Pressure air
Do not clean the filter elements by bumping or tapping them. Do not use filter elements with damaged pleats, gaskets or seals. Engine damage can result.
Make sure the cleaned filter elements are completely dry before installing into the filter housing. Water remaining in the elements can cause false indications of contamination in Scheduled Oil Sampling test results.
- When you clean the inside pleats and the outside pleats, direct the air along the pleats or direct the water along the pleats.
The element can be washed in a solution that consists of warm water and of nonsudsing household detergent. Fully rinse the pleats. Allow the filter to air dry completely.
- Inspect the filter elements after you clean the filter elements. Do not use a filter if the pleats, the gaskets or the seals are damaged.
- Cover the clean filter elements. Store the elements in a clean, dry location.
A primary element may be cleaned for a maximum of six times. Also replace the primary element if the primary element has been used for one year.
- Install a clean primary filter element.
- Clean the cover and install the cover.
- Close the access door (if equipped).
- Reset the filter element indicator.
Start the engine. If the yellow piston in the filter element indicator moves into the red zone, install a new primary filter element. Also if the exhaust smoke is black, install a new primary filter element.