Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting, and repair of the product. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers before opening any compartment or disassembling any component containing fluids.
Refer to Special Publication, NENG2500, "Dealer Service Tool Catalog" for tools and supplies suitable to collect and contain fluids on Cat products.
Dispose of all fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
- Park the machine on a hard, level surface. Lower the bucket to the ground with a slight downward pressure. Engage the parking brake and stop the engine.
Illustration 1 g00766360
- The transmission oil filter is located on the left side of the machine near the articulation joint. Use a strap type wrench to remove the transmission oil filter. Dispose of the used oil filter properly.
- Clean the filter mounting base. Remove all of the used filter gasket from the filter mounting base.
Illustration 2 g00101318
- Apply a thin coat of clean transmission oil to the gasket of the new filter element. Install the new filter element by hand. When the gasket contacts the filter mounting base, tighten the transmission oil filter by an additional 3/4 turn.
- Start the engine. Slowly operate the transmission controls in order to circulate the transmission oil.
- Move the transmission control to the NEUTRAL position. Inspect the transmission oil filter for leaks.
- Check the transmission oil level.
Reference: Refer to Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Transmission Oil Level - Check" for the correct procedure.