Failure to properly service the batteries may cause personal injury.
Prevent sparks near the batteries. They could cause vapors to explode. Do not allow the jump start cable ends to contact each other or the machine.
Do not smoke when checking battery electrolyte levels.
Electrolyte is an acid and can cause personal injury if it contacts the skin or eyes.
Always wear eye protection when starting a machine with jump start cables.
Improper jump start procedures can cause an explosion resulting in personal injury.
When using jumper cables, always connect the positive (+) jumper cable to the positive (+) battery terminal first. Next, connect the negative (-) jumper cable to the frame away from the batteries. Follow the procedure in the Operation and Maintenance Manual.
Jump start only with an energy source of the same voltage as the stalled machine.
Turn off all lights and accessories on the stalled machine. Otherwise, they will operate when the energy source is connected.
Do not attempt to charge a battery that has ice in any of the cells.
Charging a battery in this condition can cause an explosion that may result in personal injury or death.
Always let the ice melt before attempting to charge.
When starting from another machine, make sure that the machines do not touch. This can prevent damage to engine bearings and electrical circuits.
Turn on (close) the battery disconnect switch prior to the boost connection to prevent damage to electrical components on the stalled machine.
Severely discharged maintenance free batteries do not fully recharge from the alternator after jump starting. The batteries must be charged to proper voltage with a battery charger. Many batteries thought to be unusable are still rechargeable.
This machine has a 24 volt starting system. Use only the same voltage for jump starting. Use of a higher voltage damages the electrical system.
- Place the transmission control on the stalled machine in the NEUTRAL position. Engage the parking brake. Lower all attachments to the ground. Move all controls to the HOLD position.
- On the stalled machine, turn the engine start switch to the OFF position. Turn off the accessories.
- On the stalled machine, turn the battery disconnect switch to the ON position.
- Move the machine or the auxiliary power source close to the stalled machine so that the cables can reach. DO NOT ALLOW THE MACHINE OR THE AUXILIARY POWER SOURCE TO CONTACT THE STALLED MACHINE.
- Stop the engine on the machine that is the electrical source. (If you are using an auxiliary power source, turn off the charging system.)
- Check the battery caps for correct placement and for correct tightness. Make these checks on both machines. Make sure that the batteries in the stalled machine are not frozen. Check the batteries for low electrolyte.
- Connect the positive jump start cable to the positive cable terminal of the discharged battery.
Do not allow positive cable clamps to contact any metal except for battery terminals.
Note: Batteries in series may be in separate compartments. Use the terminal that is connected to the starter solenoid. This battery is normally on the same side of the machine as the starter.
- Connect the positive jump start cable to the positive terminal of the electrical source. Use the procedure from Step 7 in order to determine the correct terminal.
- Connect one end of the negative jump start cable to the negative terminal of the electrical source.
- Make the final connection. Connect the negative cable to the frame of the stalled machine. Make this connection away from the battery, away from the fuel, away from the hydraulic lines, and away from all moving parts.
- Start the engine of the machine that is the electrical source. (If you are using an auxiliary power source, energize the charging system on the auxiliary power source.)
- Allow the electrical source to charge the batteries for two minutes.
- Attempt to start the stalled engine.
Reference: For more information, refer to Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Engine Starting".
- Immediately after the stalled engine starts, disconnect the jump start cables in reverse order.