Ensure that the engine is stopped before any servicing or repair is performed.
Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting, and repair of the product. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers before opening any compartment or disassembling any component containing fluids.
Refer to Special Publication, NENG2500, "Cat Dealer Service Tool Catalog" or refer to Special Publication, PECJ0003, "Cat Shop Supplies and Tools Catalog" for tools and supplies suitable to collect and contain fluids on Cat products.
Dispose of all fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
Note: Refer to Special Instruction, REHS8231, "Removal Procedures for Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) Connectors" for the correct removal procedure of hose assemblies (1) and (5).
- Clamp off hoses (1).
- Remove clips (2) and (3). Disconnect harness assemblies (4). Remove hose assemblies (1) and (5).
Illustration 2 g03716099
- Remove bolts (6), plate (7), tank manifold (8), and gasket (not shown).
Illustration 3 g03665737
- Unscrew the band clamp (9) and remove the band clamp from the filter base (10).
Illustration 4 g03664911
- Remove the filter (11) from the filter base.
Illustration 5 g03666075
- Remove the suction filter (12) at the bottom of the header coils by pulling tabs (13). Replace with a new suction filter.
- Install new filter by pulling filter over the manifold coils up to the bottom of the assembled filter base.
Illustration 6 g03665754
- Tighten the band clamp
4.5 ± 0.7 N·m (40 ± 6 lb in), ensuring that the band clamp is aligned, as shown in illustration 6, to the flat spot on the base. Ensure that the filter does not bunch when tightening the band clamp.
- Install the tank manifold following steps 3 through 5 in reverse order with a new gasket.
- Tighten bolts (6) in an alternating sequence to
5 ± 1 N·m (44 ± 9 lb in). Tighten bolts (6) a second time in an alternating sequence to 5 ± 1 N·m (44 ± 9 lb in). Apply rubber lubricant to the o-ring seal inside of hose assemblies (1).