Care must be taken to ensure that fluids are contained during performance of inspection, maintenance, testing, adjusting, and repair of the product. Be prepared to collect the fluid with suitable containers before opening any compartment or disassembling any component containing fluids.
Refer to Special Publication, NENG2500, "Dealer Service Tool Catalog" for tools and supplies suitable to collect and contain fluids on Cat products.
Dispose of all fluids according to local regulations and mandates.
Do not fill fuel filters with fuel before installing them. The fuel will not be filtered and could be contaminated. Contaminated fuel will cause accelerated wear to fuel system parts. The fuel system should be primed prior to starting the engine.
The water separator element is located in the engine compartment on the right side of the machine.
- Open the engine access door.
Illustration 1 g02796003 (1) Drain Valve
(2) Water Separator
(3) Relief Valve
(4) Water Sensor Connector
- Open the drain valve (1) on the water separator bowl (2). Allow the water and fuel to drain into a suitable container.
Note: If fuel and water do not drain out, open the relief valve on the top of the filter base.
- Disconnect the water sensor connector.
- Support the water separator bowl and rotate the filter counterclockwise. Remove the filter.
- Remove the water separator element located in the bowl. Clean the water separator bowl.
Note: The water separator bowl (2) is reusable. Do not discard the water separator bowl.
- Install a new water separator element into the separator bowl and turn the drain valve by hand until the filter element is snug. Do not use tools to tighten the filter element.
- Apply a coat of clean diesel fuel to the sealing surface of the new element.
- Install the new filter assembly. Rotate the filter clockwise in order to fasten the filter to the mounting base.
- Close and tighten all open drain valves.
Note: The water separator element is under suction during normal engine operation. Tighten drain valve in order to prevent air leakage into the fuel system.
- Connect the water sensor connector.
- Prime the fuel system in order to fill the water separator element with fuel. Refer to Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Fuel System Prime".
Note: Priming time is 2 minutes for Series C7.1Tier 4 engine fitted in the M-Series machine.
- Close the engine access door.