(40)Engine Air Intake System
Never service air cleaners with engine running.
Service filter elements when RED indicator locks in the visible position.
- 1. Remove cover and primary element.
- 2. Clean inside of body and cover.
- 3. Clean and inspect element. (See Page 25.)
- 4. Install clean element and cover.
- 5. Reset indicator.
If indicator shows RED shortly after installation of clean primary element, and element has been cleaned 6 to 8 times, change element.
If new primary element was used, and indicator shows RED, change secondary element.
Do not clean secondary element.
- 1. Remove cover and primary element.
- 2. Remove secondary element.
- 3. Cover air inlet opening.
- 4. Clean entire air cleaner including precleaner if necessary.
- 5. Uncover air inlet.
- 6. Install new element, torque element nuts to 20 ± 5 lb. ft. (2.8 ± .69 mkg).
- 7. Install clean primary element.
- 8. Install covers.
- 9. Reset indicator.
Cleaning Air Cleaner Elements
Pressure Air - 30 PSI (2 kg/cm2) Maximum
- 1. Direct air inside element along length of pleats.
- 2. Direct air outside along length of pleats. Direct air inside along length of pleats. Check element.
Water - 40 PSI (3 kg/cm2) Maximum
- 1. Direct water inside element along length of pleats.
- 2. Direct water outside along length of pleats. Rinse, air dry thoroughly and check element.
- 1. Wash in warm water and non-sudsing household detergent.
- 2. Rinse with clean water, 40 PSI max. (3 kg/cm2), see above.
- 3. Air dry thoroughly and check element.
- 1. Insert light inside clean and dry element and check. Discard element if pinholes or tears are found.
- 2. Wrap and store good elements in a clean dry place.
When using pressure air wear safety glasses and protective clothing. Use 30 PSI (2 kg/cm2) maximum pressure air for cleaning purposes.
Do not clean elements by bumping or tapping.
Do not use elements with damaged pleats, gaskets or seals.
NOTE: Have spare elements on hand to use while cleaning used elements.
(41)Fuel System Filters - Service When Fuel Pressure Gauge Registers Out With Engine Running.
Primary Fuel Filter
- 1. Close fuel supply valve.
- 2. Remove bowl and element.
- 3. Wash element and bowl in clean solvent.
- 4. Install element and bowl.
- 5. Open fuel valve and start engine.
If fuel pressure gauge still registers OUT, change final fuel filter.
Final Fuel Filter
- 1. Close fuel supply valve and remove filter.
- 2. Clean filter base gasket surface. Lubricate new filter gasket with clean diesel fuel.
- 3. Install new filter. Tighten filter until gasket surface contacts base, then tighten additional 1/2 turn.
- 4. Open fuel valve and prime fuel system.
- 5. Start engine and check for leaks.
Priming Fuel System
- 1. Move governor control to off position. Open vent valve.
- 2. Unlock priming pump plunger and operate pump until ...
- 3. Flow of fuel from drain line is free of air bubbles. Lock pump plunger and close vent valve.
Whenever draining and refilling the cooling system, always recheck the coolant level when the engine reaches normal operating temperature.
Remove cap slowly to relieve pressure. Maintain coolant level to within 1/2 inch (1 cm) of the bottom of the fill pipe.
Use clean water that is low in scale forming minerals - not softened water.
Never add coolant to an overheated engine. Allow it to cool first.
Inhibitor contains alkali, avoid contact with skin and eyes.
Add AVSpare Corrosion Inhibitor. Follow recommendations given on container.
Check specific gravity of antifreeze solution frequently in cold weather to assure adequate protection.
Cleaning Cooling System - Run engine until coolant is warm.
- 1. Stop engine and loosen filler cap to release pressure. Remove filler cap.
- 2. Open drain valve and drain coolant.
- 3. Close drain valve and fill system with cleaning solution. (1)
- 4. Start engine and operate for 1/2 hour.
- 5. Stop engine and open valve. Flush system with clean water until draining water is clear.
- 6. Close drain valve and fill system with neutralizing solution. (2)
- 7. Start engine and operate for 10 minutes.
- 8. Stop engine, open drain valve and flush system.
- 9. Close drain valve and add coolant to proper level.
(1)2 lb. Sodium Bisulphate (NaHSO4) per 10 gal. water (mix 25 grams per 1 liter of water).
(2)1/2 lb. Sodium Carbonate Crystals (Na2CO3 · 10 H2O) per 10 gal. water (mix 6 grams per 1 liter of water).
NOTE: Most commercial type cooling system cleaners may be used.
Replace Cutting Edge And End Bits
- 1. Lower blade arms on blocks. Engage parking brake and stop engine.
- 2. Remove bolts and remove cutting edge.
- 3. Remove end bits if worn. Inspect all bolts and use new ones where necessary.
- 4. Reverse cutting edge if only worn on one edge. Install cutting edge and end bits.
Adjust Tilt Brace Ball And Socket
- 1. Remove cap bolts. Shorten brace and remove shims. Clean ball, socket and shims.
- 2. Lengthen brace. Install and tighten bolts evenly.
- 3. Measure clearance between cap and socket with shims.
- 4. Remove bolts and shorten brace. Install shims equal to measured distance plus 1 shim.
- 5. Lengthen brace and install bolts. Tighten to 150 ± 20 lb. ft. (20,7 ± 2,7 kmg).
(44)Ripper Tip - Replace
- 1. Drive pin out and remove tip.
- 2. Check plug. Metal part of plug must be towards pin hole.
- 3. Install tip in either digger or runner position. Align pin holes and install pin.