Failure to properly service the batteries may cause peronal injury.
Prevent sparks near the batteries. They could cause vapors to explode. Do not allow the jump start cable ends to contact each other or the machine.
Do not smoke when checking battery electrolyte levels.
Electrolyte is an acid and can cause personal injury if it contacts skin or eyes.
Always wear eye protection when starting a machine with jump start cables.
Improper jump start procedures can cause an explosion resulting in personal injury.
Always connect the battery positive (+) to battery positive (+) and the battery negative (−) to battery negative (−).
Jump start only with an energy source with the same voltage as the stalled machine.
Turn off all lights and accessories on the stalled machine. Otherwise, they will operate when the energy source is connected.
When starting from another machine, make sure that the machines do not touch. This could prevent damage to engine bearings and electrical circuits.
Turn on (close) the battery disconnect switch prior to the boost connection to prevent damage to electrical components on the stalled machine.
Severely discharged maintenance free batteries do not fully recharge from the alternator after jump starting. The batteries must be charged to proper voltage with a battery charger. Many batteries thought to be unusable are still rechargeable.
This machine has a 24 volt starting system. Use only the same voltage for jump starting. Use of a welder or higher voltage damages the electrical system.
Refer to Special Instruction, Battery Test Procedure, SEHS7633, available from your AVSpare dealer, for complete testing and charging information.
When the auxiliary start receptacles are not available, use the following procedure.
- Determine the failure of the engine to start. Refer to Special Instruction, SEHS7768 on the use of 6V-2150 Starting/Charging Analyzer. Use this procedure if the machine does not have a diagnostic connector.
- Move the transmission control to the PARK position on the stalled machine. Lower all attachments to the ground. Move all controls to the HOLD position.
- Place the switch for the parking brake into the PARK position.
- On a stalled machine, turn the start switch key to the OFF position. Turn off the accessories.
- On a stalled machine, turn the battery disconnect switch to the ON position.
- Move the machines together in order for the cables to reach. DO NOT ALLOW THE MACHINES TO CONTACT EACH OTHER.
- Stop the engine on the machine that is the electrical source. When you use an auxiliary power source, turn off the charging system.
Illustration 1 g01936654
- Check the battery caps for correct placement and for correct tightness. Make these checks on both machines. Make sure that the batteries in the stalled machine are not frozen. Check the batteries for low electrolyte.
- Connect the positive jump start cable (+) to the positive terminal (+) of the discharged battery.
Do not allow positive cable clamps (+) to contact any metal except for battery terminals.
- Connect the positive jump start cable (+) to the positive terminal (+) of the electrical source. Use the procedure from Step 8 in order to determine the correct terminal.
- Connect one end of the negative jump start cable (-) to the negative terminal (-) of the electrical source.
- Make the final connection. Connect the negative cable (-) to the frame of the stalled machine. Make this connection away from the battery, the fuel, the hydraulic lines, or moving parts.
- Start the engine on the machine that is the electrical source. Also, you can energize the charging system on the auxiliary power source.
- Allow the electrical source to charge the batteries for two minutes.
- Attempt to start the stalled engine. Refer to Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Engine Starting". See the beginning of this topic.
- Immediately after the stalled engine starts, disconnect the jump start cables in reverse order.
- Conclude with a failure analysis on the starting charging system. Check the stalled machine, as required. Check the machine when the engine is running and the charging system is in operation.