(27)Differential And Final Drives
Machine level, scraper lowered, parking brake set, differential and final drive lubricant warm and engine stopped.
- 1. Position wheels so final drive drain plugs are at lowest point. Remove drain plugs.
- 2. Remove differential drain plug. Allow lubricant to drain.
- 3. Clean all drain plugs.
- 4. Install drain plugs in differential and final drives when completely drained.
- 5. Remove final drive fill plugs.
- 6. Fill to bottom of fill plug opening. See REFILL CAPACITIES. Clean and install plugs.
- 7. Remove differential fill plug.
- 8. Fill to bottom of fill plug opening. See REFILL CAPACITIES. Clean and install plug.
NOTE: Check lubricant level frequently if any sign of leakage develops or is suspected.
Machine level, bowl lowered, ejector forward, parking brake set, oil warm and engines stopped.
- 1. Move hydraulic controls to help relieve pressure.
- 2. Remove tank filler cap slowly to relieve pressure.
- 3. Remove hydraulic tank drain plug.
- 4. Change hydraulic filter elements. See Item 22.
- 5. Clean and install drain plug.
- 6. Remove tank filler strainer. Wash strainer in clean solvent.
- 7. Shake or blow dry.
When using pressure air, wear safety face shield and protective clothing. Use 30 PSI (2 kg/cm2) maximum pressure air for cleaning purposes.
- 8. Install strainer in tank.
- 9. Fill tank. See REFILL CAPACITIES.
- 10. Start engine and allow oil to circulate.
- 11. Stop engine and check oil level. Add oil if necessary.
(29)Scraper Wheel Bearings
- 1. Park machine on level and set parking brake. Stop engine. Raise and block rear of scraper.
- 2. Remove scraper fender.
- 3. Remove nuts from rim mounting bolts.
- 4. Remove rim and tire.
- 5. Remove brake fluid line.
- 6. Remove brake assembly mounting bolts. Remove brake assembly.
- 7. Remove axle bearing cover.
- 8. Straighten lock tangs.
- 9. Remove locking nut, lock and adjusting nut.
- 10. Remove wheel hub. Remove outer bearing as soon as free of axle.
- 11. Remove inner bearing from axle.
- 12. Wash and inspect bearings and seals. Use new cup and cone if either cup or cone of a set is damaged.
- 13. Pack bearing cones. Work grease in and around rollers. Clean bearing recess in wheel hub.
- 14. Install inner bearing and seal. Coat bearing cups with grease. Install hub.
- 15. Install adjusting nut. Tighten until wheel hub seizes. Back off 1/4 turn. Wheel must be free rolling without side play.
- 16. Install lock and lock nut. Bend lock tangs over outer nut. Pack cavity. Install cover.
- 17. Install brake assembly. Bleed system through both bleeder valves, one at a time.
- 18. Install rim and tire. Recheck adjustment.
- 19. Remove blocking and lower scraper.
(30)Cooling System - Changing Antifreeze Solution
NOTE: When permanent antifreeze and water solutions are used in the cooling system, the solution should be drained and replaced every 2000 hours, or yearly.
When additions of inhibitor are made to the cooling system every 500 hours, or three months, it is not necessary to drain and refill yearly.
Whenever draining and refilling the cooling system, always recheck the coolant level when the engine reaches normal operating temperature.
Use clean water that is low in scale forming minerals - not softened water.
Check specific gravity of antifreeze solution frequently in cold weather to assure adequate protection.
Add AVSpare Corrosion Inhibitor or equivalent. Follow recommendations on container.
Inhibitor contains alkali, avoid contact with skin and eyes.
NOTE: The engine cooling system is protected to -20°F (-29°C), with permanent-type antifreeze, when shipped from the factory.
- 1. Run engine until coolant is at operating temperature. Park machine on level ground and stop engine.
- 2. Turn filler cap slowly to relieve pressure, then remove cap.
- 3. Remove access plate in crankcase guard and open radiator drain valve. Allow coolant to drain.
- 4. Remove plug from right side of block.
- 5. Remove plug from left side of block.
- 6. Remove plug from water inlet elbow on front of engine.
- 7. Remove plug from bottom of oil cooler.
- 8. Close drain valve.
- 9. Clean and install all drain plugs.
- 10. Mix antifreeze solution to provide protection to the lowest expected ambient temperature.
- 11. Add antifreeze solution. See REFILL CAPACITIES.
- 12. Install filler cap.
If machine is to be stored in, or shipped to an area with below freezing temperatures, cooling system must be drained completely, or protected to lowest expected ambient temperature.
- 1. Park machine on level. Stop engine. Remove drain plug and allow to drain. Clean and install plug.
- 2. Remove fill plug in top of housing. Remove level plug in side of housing.
- 3. Fill to bottom of level plug opening. Clean and install plugs.
(32)Engine Coolant Hoses
Replace inlet and outlet coolant hoses.