Machine level, scraper lowered, parking brake set, oil warm and engine stopped.
- 1. Remove drain plug from bottom of transfer gear case. Allow oil to drain.
- 2. Remove crankcase guard and remove torque converter sump drain plug. Allow oil to drain.
- 3. Remove cap and screen from tee located in scavenge line.
- 4. Remove cover at lower front of transfer gear case.
- 5. Remove screen and magnets.
- 6. Wash screen and magnets in clean solvent. Clean magnets with a cloth, stiff brush or pressure air.
When using pressure air, wear safety face shield and protective clothing. Use 30 PSI (2 kg/cm2) maximum pressure air for cleaning purposes.
Do not drop or rap magnets against hard objects. Replace any damaged magnets.
- 7. Install screen in tee in scavenge line.
- 8. Clean and install torque converter sump and transfer gear housing drain plugs.
- 9. Install screen, magnets and cover.
- 10. Remove, discard and use a new plastic breather (effective with 71M344). Machines 71M1-71M343, remove metal breather, wash in clean solvent and install.
- 11. Fill transmission. See REFILL CAPACITIES.
- 12. Start engine and allow oil to circulate.
- 13. Check for leaks.
- 14. Check oil level with engine running. Maintain oil level to full mark on dipstick.
(25)Drive Shaft And Universal Joints
- 1. Lubricate 2 fittings in front universal of top shaft.
- 2. Lubricate 1 fitting in rear universal of top shaft.
- 3. Lubricate 1 fitting in each universal of bottom shaft. Total 5 fittings.
(26)Engine Valve Lash
Check and adjust valves with engine stopped and cold.
Remove rocker arm covers.
Always turn flywheel in direction of normal rotation. Do not use starting motor to turn flywheel.
To Check Valve Lash:
- 1. Rotate flywheel clockwise to close No. 1 and No. 2 inlet and exhaust valves.
- 2. Align "TDC-1" timing mark on crankshaft pulley with timing pointer mounted on block.
- 3. Check lash of No. 1 and No. 2 inlet and exhaust valves.
- 4. Rotate flywheel 180° clockwise to close No. 3 and No. 7 inlet and exhaust valves.
- 5. Align "VS" timing mark (180° on pulley from "TDC-1" mark) with timing indicator.
- 6. Check lash of No. 3 and No. 7 inlet and exhaust valves.
- 7. Rotate flywheel 180° clockwise to close No. 4 and No. 5 inlet and exhaust valves. Align "TDC-1" mark with pointer.
- 8. Check lash of No. 4 and No. 5 inlet and exhaust valves.
- 9. Rotate flywheel 180° clockwise to close No. 6 and No. 8 inlet and exhaust valves. Align "VS" mark with pointer.
To Adjust Valve Lash:
- 10. Check lash of No. 6 and No. 8 inlet and exhaust valves.
- 1. Loosen adjusting screw locknut.
- 2. Turn adjusting screw in to close gap, out to open gap (see page 22 for correct lash).
- 3. Hold adjusting screw with screwdriver and tighten locknut.
- 4. Recheck adjustment.
- 5. Install rocker arm covers. Tighten bolts to 6 to 10 lb ft. (0.83 to 1.39 mkg).