1. Remove the wire rope from the cable drum BEFORE disconnecting the hydraulic lines from the motor.
2. Drain the winch gear case oil as described in the "Preventive Maintenance" section of this manual.
3. Remove the motor cover from the RH side of the winch. Remove the two main hoses and the case drain hose from the motor, and disconnect the drum clutch hose from the fitting below the motor. Disconnect the brake release hose from the elbow on the brake housing.
4. Remove the capscrews securing the motor to the brake housing, and carefully remove the motor.
5. Support the cable drum to the winch case with a suitable hoist and chain. Alternately, use a 3/4" diameter or larger woven rope to tie the drum off to the winch case. In either method, it is recommended to support the drum with wooden blocks located under the drum flanges.
6. Remove the capscrews securing the brake housing to the LH side of the winch case.
NOTE: To aid removal and handling, it is recommended that brake cylinder lifting fixture be fabricated and used. This fixture would attach to the motor mounting holes on the motor adapter. Alternatively, you can install a 1/2-13 UNC eyebolt into one of the motor mounting holes and use a guide bar inserted through the center of the brake housing. Two (2) jackscrew holes are provided to aid removal from the bearing. During removal, the shims between the winch case and brake housing may be damaged. These shims will need to be replaced if damaged, or reused if in acceptable condition.
7. Remove drum seal. Remove the LH side drum bearing cone. A new drum seal will be needed for reassembly.
8. Remove the carrier clutch assembly and thrust ring from the drum.
9. Remove the retaining ring from the groove inside the cable drum, then remove the intermediate planetary carrier assembly. Remove retaining ring from intermediate sun gear.
10. Remove the fasteners securing the end cover to the output ring gear on the RH side of the winch and remove the end cover.
NOTE: To aid handling of the end cover, install a 1/2 - 13 UNC eyebolt into the upper tapped hole in the face of the cover. Use a long bolt and tube, or a long punch in the lower tapped hole to help guide the part once removed from the winch.
11. Remove the output sun gear.
12. Install a 5/8 - 11 UNC eyebolt into the upper tapped hole of the planet carrier. Remove the planet carrier assembly.
NOTE: To aid handling the planet carrier assembly, insert a sturdy guide rod through the center of the drum shaft. If drum bearing or seal service is required, complete the following steps. Otherwise, stop here and proceed to the pertinent service section of this manual as needed.
13. Support the cable drum with a hoist and lifting strap, remove any supporting rope, and carefully remove the cable drum through the rear of the case.
14. Remove the capscrew from top dead center of the output ring gear and install a 1/2 - 13 UNC eyebolt. Remove the capscrews securing the ring gear to the winch case and remove the ring gear. Use the two (2) jackscrew holes provided to aid removal from the bearing.
15. Remove the LH side drum bearing cone.
16. Remove the capscrews securing the vertical fairlead roller shafts to the top of the winch case.
17. Carefully raise one vertical fairlead roller shaft through the roller and out the top of the winch case. Remove the roller assembly and spacers at each end. Repeat for the other vertical roller.
NOTE: Each roller must be supported to prevent it from falling out of position once the shaft is removed.
18. Remove the capscrews securing the horizontal fairlead roller shaft(s) to the LH side of the winch case.
19. Support the horizontal roller using a heavy rope, or some other positive retention method. Carefully remove the roller shaft and spacer washers from the winch. Remove the horizontal roller from the winch. Repeat, if required, for the 4th fairlead roller.
20. Clean and inspect all components and subassemblies at this time. Refer to the appropriate subassembly service section of this manual for specific repair instructions.